XterraWeb’s editing service is a combination copy-editing and proofreading service provided at an affordable, reasonable rate. We know authors want a high quality service at a reasonable rate, and we strive to meet our authors needs for quality and affordability.
Our rates are based upon the book publishing industry standard of a book page. These standards state one page is the equivalent of approximately 250 words based upon a page that is double-spaced, in a 12-point font, with one-inch margins on all sides.
Shorter fiction works of 10,000 words or fewer have a set flat rate and do not require the free, 2,000-word sample edit. The rate is determined solely by the word count of the work. The flat rates are given in the table below.
Fiction works of 10,001 words or greater require a free, 2,000-word sample edit, and nonfiction works of any word count require a free review and/or 2,000-word sample edit, depending on the word count, to determine the rate. Rates range from $2.00 to $12.00 per page (or 250 words). We recognize each manuscript is unique, and the editing rate is based upon the complexity of the manuscript and the extent of editing required. The table below shows the price range for different page counts/word counts at the lowest rate and the highest rate to give authors a general idea of the editing cost for their manuscript.
Rates effective as of December 2, 2022.
|WORD COUNT||FLAT RATE|
|0000 – 2,000||$50.00|
|2,001 – 4,000||$75.00|
|4,001 – 6,000||$100.00|
|6,001 – 8,000||$125.00|
|8,001 – 10,000||$150.00|
|Rates effective as of December 2, 2022|
|WORD COUNT||SAMPLE EDIT RATE|
|25,000 (100 pages)||$200.00 – $1,200.00|
|50,000 (200 pages)||$400.00 – $2,400.00|
|75,000 (300 pages)||$600.00 – $3,600.00|
|100,000 (400 pages)||$800.00 – $4,800.00|
|Rates effective as of December 2, 2022|
Click each item below for more details.
Requesting a Sample Edit and Scheduling an Editing Date
- A sample edit can be requested via our online contact form or through email
- Manuscripts must be submitted in final draft format in a Microsoft Word document file. A manuscript in final draft format is double-spaced and in Times New Roman 12-point font with 1-inch margins on all sides.
- All editing slots are scheduled based upon availability on the editors’s calendar, the length of the manuscript, and the degree of editing required by the manuscript.
- All editing slots are filled on a first come, first served basis.
- An editing date on the editor’s calendar will be reserved and guaranteed once the initial payment and electronically signed contract have been received.
- All payments will be made through PayPal using either your PayPal account or a credit/debit card via the invoice emailed to the client.
- No editing date will be reserved and guaranteed unless and until the deposit (50% of the total editing fee) has been received. The electronically signed editing services contract must also be received.
- The standard payment arrangements are for two payments, and each payment will be for 50% of the total editing fee. The initial invoice will be sent once the client confirms the scheduling details and the quote and must be paid upon receipt. The final invoice will be sent once editing has been completed and must be paid upon receipt and before the edited manuscript is returned.
- Alternative payment arrangements may be available. These arrangements are determined on a case-by-case basis and require agreement between the client and the editor, which will be detailed in the editing services contract.
- The editing services contract will contain all payment details.
The Editing Services Contract and Editing Process
- The editing services contract, or agreement, will be emailed to the client at the same time as the initial invoice is emailed. Neither document will be sent until the client has confirmed the editing date and the quote.
- Some of the information included in the contract will be details about the service being provided, manuscript details (e.g., title, estimated word count, genre, author name), fee and payment information, and our nondisclosure/confidentiality policy.
- The contract should be reviewed carefully by the client, signed electronically by typing their name in the required location, saved, and emailed as an attachment to the editor.
- The final manuscript must be provided to the editor before the scheduled editing date and can be provided at the same time as editing is scheduled if it is ready.
- The editor will complete a comprehensive editorial report and style sheet during the editing process. This report will be returned to the client with their edited manuscript.
- The editor will communicate with the client during the editing process if there are any questions and/or if specific status updates have been requested.