Share this post
Self-publishing + Distribution
- Author does all the work—responsible for hiring outside services (editing, cover design, formatting) and other assistance.
- Author provides distributor with final files/book.
- Distributor may take portion of sales and/or charge upfront fee.
- Author keeps all rights to book.
- Distributor pays author.
- Distributor is mandatory for print or POD books.
- Some distributors provide e-book file conversion, marketing tools, and other services for free or a fee.
- Author isn’t responsible for managing several accounts for multiple retailers.
- Print and POD services won’t place your book in bookstores.
- Some distributors are also online retailers which may require upfront fees, a portion of sales, and/or exclusivity.